Help required with imtest !

Niraj Sawant nirajksawant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 11:44:00 EDT 2006

Hi All,
I am facing problem while running imtest for cyrus-imapd.
It fails with error "Authentication failed. no mechanism available"

I followed following steps to reach here.

I have installed kerberos-5 on my freebsd (release 4.10) machine.
I am using imtest to verify if the kerberos is installed correctly.

1. compile and install kerberos
2. compile and install cyrus-imapd22
3. compile and install cyrus-sasl2

Setup kerberos on kdc machine by creating /etc/kerb5.conf and
/usr/local/var/krb5kdc/kdc.conf.
Modified /etc/services  correctly

Created master key using kdb5_util
created /etc/kadm.acl
added admin principal
started daemons /usr/local/sbin/krb5kdc and /usr/local/sbin/kadmind

Added prinicpal for a user and imap service, exported keytab for imap servie
to imap server.
Got a tgt for user using kinit.

NOW the problem statement:

I tried to run imtest and got following response.

C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS IDLE
AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN X-MIRA-UIDMIGRATE UNSELECT LOGINDISABLED
S: C01 OK Completed
Authentication failed. no mechanism available
Security strength factor: 0

I tried to search for this error. It's coming from
/usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2/work/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18/lib/client.c::sasl_client_start
function
I guess for some reason the cmechlist structure is not getting populated
correctly.

Why is imtest not able to find gssapi mechanism, though it is linked with
sasl and gsspi libraries?

Any help/suggestion/links are highly appretiated.

Thanks in advance,
Niraj.

P.S. Since this is my first post to you all, please excuse for any
syntactical or "norms not followed" error :)