Anyone has an apache running with mod_auth_kerb AND mod_auth_ldap?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Oct 5 14:36:49 EDT 2006

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:10:27 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> writes:
> > Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> >> mod_auth_kerb can (via BasicAuth), but you need to have the passwords
> >> in some Kerberos database.  It doesn't help if they're only in LDAP.
>
> > I'm a little confused by this statement. If mod_auth_kerb uses
> > krb5_get_init_creds_password it shouldn't care where passwords are.
>
> It only does Kerberos authentication.  If the passwords are stored as
> encrypted hashes in an LDAP directory server (which is what people
> normally mean when they talk about "LDAP authentication"), it doesn't
> help.

Actually I think mod_auth_ldap just uses ldap_bind functions to
"authenticate" so the passwords "stored as encrypted hashes" part still
confuses me a little.

But you're right. I see now that the OP was asking about Basic for users
NOT in AD so it doesn't sound like he would be able to use mod_auth_kerb.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SSO