Migrating a Kerberos Realm

Edward Murrell edward at dlconsulting.com
Wed Nov 29 21:25:23 EST 2006

I thought I'd post back here how I got on.

So it turned out to be a funky combination of my earlier silliness in
having single names as hostnames (apollo, instead of apollo.office),
returning the single hostname in the reverse DNS, and having a single
name set in the /etc/hostname (which I'm sure should be the shortname).

This led to some weird behaviour where I could connect to a machine via
ssh, and use the new password, but couldn't SSO through to it without a
password.

I also discovered the hard way how to do name mapping;
In your krb5.conf, under domain_realm, you need something like;

OFFICE = {
        auth_to_local = RULE:[1:$1]
        auth_to_local = RULE:[2:$1]
        auth_to_local = DEFAULT
}

This is probably really really bad unless your trying to migrate a realm
(eg, user at REALM1 is the same person as user at REALM2).

In the meantime, I'm resigned to having really big krb5.conf files while
in transition. Such is life.

--
The next step will be to roll out a full krb5.conf to every machine, add
proper host/complete.domain.name.com at REALM to to each keytab, convert

Cheers
Edward