Windows Xp authentication to MIT KDC

Joey Seifert jseifert at microsoft.com
Sat May 27 12:59:53 EDT 2006

The steps below should apply to Windows XP as well as Windows Server
2003.  I would also confirm the case of your realm.  Usually realms are
upper case.  If it is you should reconfigure your realm settings on the
XP client to match the case of the MIT realm.

SRV records are not a requirement.  As long as you define the FQDN of
the KDCs with the ksetup /addkdc command, you don't need SRV records but
you do need to be able to resolve the FQDN of the KDCs you specified.

Using an MIT KDC with a Standalone Windows Server 2003 Client
For the Windows Server 2003 client to use a non-Windows KDC, you must
configure both the non-Windows KDC and the Windows Server 2003 client as
described next.
To configure the MIT KDC server and the Windows Server 2003 client
1.	On the MIT KDC, create a host principal for the computer. Use
the command:

Kadmin -q "ank host/machine-name.dns-domain_name"

Note: After executing the above command you will be prompted to provide
a password.  Provide a complex password and make note of it. You will be
required to provide the same password in a subsequent command on the
Windows Server 2003 client.

For example, if the Windows Server 2003 client name is WS03SRV1 and the
primary DNS suffix of this computer is realm.reskit.com, the principal
name is host/ws03srv1.realm.reskit.com.

Kadmin is a utility that is part of the MIT Kerberos distribution.
2.	Run the Ksetup utility to configure the Windows Server 2003
client to be aware of the non-Windows KDC and realm.
	Since the MIT realm is not an Active Directory domain, the
computer will be configured as a member of a workgroup. This is
automatic when you set the Kerberos realm and add a KDC server as
follows:

C:> Ksetup /setrealm REALM.RESKIT.COM
C:> Ksetup /addkdc REALM.RESKIT.COM kdc.realm.reskit.com
	Set the local machine account password, as follows:

C:> Ksetup /setmachpassword password
Replace password with the password you supplied above in step 1.

3.	Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. (This is a
required step.) Whenever changes are made to the realm or domain
membership, a restart is required.
4.	Use Ksetup to configure single sign on to local workstation
accounts. Define the account mappings; this will map local machine
accounts to Kerberos principals. For example:

C:> Ksetup /mapuser auser at REALM.RESKIT.COM guest
C:> Ksetup /mapuser * *

Note that the second command maps clients to local accounts of the same
name.
5.	Use Ksetup with no arguments to see the current settings.

--Joey