Solaris 10 SEAM issues

Rainer.Heilke@atcoitek.com Rainer.Heilke at atcoitek.com
Thu May 25 17:53:15 EDT 2006

Greetings, everyone.

I'm hoping the Solaris 10 people here can help me out with a problem
we're having with Kerberos (SEAM). We have a new Solaris 10 host in our
test lab, built using Live Upgrade. We have an issue in that our rlogin
-x -F attempts to the new host fail. On another Solaris 10 host, the
error comes back:

oratest.atcotest.ca: Connection refused
rlogin: kcmdv2 to host oratest failed - Unknown code 255

The attempts from Solaris 8 hosts give even less useful error messages.

I know that on the new host (oratest.atcotest.ca), eklogin refuses to
start, and I'm pretty sure that's the problem. My conundrum is that the
messages on the new host are no more helpful than on the hosts I am
trying to rlogin from. When I disable eklogin (svcadm disable eklogin)
and then re-enable it, it looks to be running. The moment I try a
connection, it goes into maintenance mode:

svcs -xv
svc:/network/login:eklogin (remote login)
 State: maintenance since Thu May 25 15:09:47 2006
Reason: Restarter svc:/network/inetd:default gave no explanation.
   See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-9C
   See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M in.rlogind
   See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M rlogind
Impact: This service is not running.

The link (SMF-8000-9C) just says, "I don't know what the problem is".
Nothing gets written to any logs I can find.

Any ideas as to what we're missing? The four Sun Kerberos packages are
installed. Google only leads me to a forum post with no replies.

It's fun debugging problems when every error message says, "Look! A
butterfly!" :-/

Rainer Heilke
Unix Systems Administrator
ATCO I-Tek
Phone:  780-420-7806
Fax:  780-420-3939
Email:  rainer.heilke at atcoitek.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and any copies.