Delegation or Explicit Credentials for Web Service?

Richard E. Silverman res at qoxp.net
Thu May 25 00:33:49 EDT 2006

    MBA> I have some code that runs on a web server and authenticates
    MBA> clients using GSSAPI via WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate. This works
    MBA> with Firefox and IE.

    MBA> I have some client code that authenticates with a file server
    MBA> using Kerberos. That works ok too.

    MBA> Now I want the code on the web server to run the code that
    MBA> authenticates with the file server. This does not work because I
    MBA> need a ticket to authenticate the web server with the file
    MBA> server.

    MBA> My understanding is that I have two options:

    MBA>   1) Configure the HTTP service principal a OK-AS-DELEGATE. When
    MBA> the web client connects, gss_accept_sec_context will emit a TGT
    MBA> that can then be used to acquire the desired ticket.

Only if the client is configured to actually do delegation.  The "OK" flag
is just a hint to the client as to whether the Kerberos realm considers
this service trustworthy.  Firefox has the setting:

network.negotiate-auth.delegation-uris

... indicating its own notion of which URI's should get delegation.
--
  Richard Silverman
  res at qoxp.net