Simple question

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Sun May 14 23:28:17 EDT 2006

On Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:29:38 AM -0700 Vasken Houdoverdov
<vhcomptech at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in the Kerberos authentication protocol, and was
> simply wondering whether I needed special permission to post a quick
> overview of the protocol on my site, and link to your official MIT page.

The Kerberos protocol is the subject of ongoing standards work within the
IETF.  The current version of the protocol is specified by RFC's 3961,
3962, and 4120.  These are available from <http://www.rfc-editor.org/>, and
verbatim copies can be freely redistributed (see the copyright notice
included with each document for more information on redistribution of
RFC's).

You don't need special permission from anyone to create and distribute an
overview written in your own words.  However, I would recommend spending a
few minutes with Google first; chances are pretty good that someone else
has already written the sort of overview you need.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>
   Chair, IETF Kerberos Working Group