Presence/absence of the keytab

Richard E. Silverman res at qoxp.net
Sat May 6 00:14:58 EDT 2006

    SL> I was just a bit caught off-guard by the fact that the
    SL> authentication (again, via pam_krb5) worked even when the keytab
    SL> was not installed.

pam_krb5 verifies your password against Kerberos, right?  In that case,
there *should* be a keytab, due to the issue alluded to earlier in this
thread: the module should obtain a host ticket to defend against a KDC
spoofing attack.  If it let you in without that, perhaps there's a "verify
KDC" option that's turned off (and ideally, should be turned on).

--
  Richard Silverman
  res at qoxp.net