Solaris ssh pam_krb

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 30 20:41:05 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:02:14PM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> On Thursday, March 30, 2006 06:08:10 PM -0600 Nicolas Williams
> <Nicolas.Williams at Sun.COM> wrote:
> >Huh?  Why should UIDs not conflict with PAGs?  What am I missing?
>
> Because AFS identifies credentials, cached connections, and cached access
> rights by a 32-bit number which is either a UID or a PAG.  So the
> namespaces for those need to not overlap.  AFS uses 0x41000000.. 0x14FFFFFF
> for PAG's, leaving the rest of the 32-bit space for UID's.

Ugh.

> >>Please!  Be the first OS vendor on your block to provide them!
> >
> >Unfortunately it's a bit harder than that.
> >
> >I have lots of uses for PAGs besides tracking krb5 tix.  I don't want a
> >PAG-like item per-such use.  I want a daemon (least priv and all that)
> >that tracks PAG<->{whatever} associations.  It has to be lightweight and
> >not easily DoSed.  And this needs an API.  And it needs to allow you to
> >create a new PAG while keeping all your old associations and breaking
> >only the ones you want to break, which also means some access control
> >(euid will do).
>
> The last is very tricky.  To get it right, code has to not actually track a
> process's credentials (and associated cached stuff) directly by its PAG,
> but by a per-application identifier with a many-to-one mapping between
> PAG's and application identifiers.  Any application has to be able to add a
> mapping from an existing PAG to one of its identifiers, if one doesn't
> already exist.  And, applications need to be able to ask the question "is
> this still in use?".  And the fun part - these things have to be possible
> not only from user mode but also from the kernel.

No, the kernel doesn't need PAGs for itself -- it upcalls to daemons
that do (e.g., gssd(1M)) and which can use door_ucred(3DOOR) and friends
to find out what the caller's PAG is.

> In any event, the API is easy.  The hard part is the _user_ interface...

The user interface is easy: PAM (not quite in its present form) can
handle all logon-time issues, while programs like kinit and keylogin can
take care per-application associations in specific cases, and a generic
command can list/break any/all associations.

Yes, an event facility is needed to detroy credentials on refcount drop
to zero.

> >>Right; AFS PAG's are just another kind of process group.  They happen to
> >>have exactly the same inheritance semantics as supplemental groups,
> >>except  that setgroups() doesn't touch them, and any process can ask for
> >>a new one.  (In addition, AFS let's you get a new PAG and ask for your
> >>parent to be  moved into it with you; this lets 'newpag' be a program
> >>users can call from  the shell.  But this behavior is considered an evil
> >>aberration that we wish  would go away).
> >
> >In Solaris the way you'd do the "change parent's PAG" is through /proc
> >(we really need a stable, public version of the libproc API, which makes
> >/proc reall easy to use...).
> >
> >In fact, you can do the AFS hack today using /proc...
>
> Not without privileges you can't.

Er, well, yes, but that is true even for the case where the process is
creating a new PAG with this hack -- this isn't /proc's fault but the
result of using supplementary groups to emulate first class PAGs.

Nico