failed to verify krb5 credentials

Thomas A. La Porte tlaporte at anim.dreamworks.com
Thu Mar 16 16:51:06 EST 2006

You need to determine which Kerberos principal Apache is trying
to lookup, and that will help you troubleshoot the problem.

We've seen this error when using virtual hosts. If you have the
following service principal in your keytab:

HTTP/www.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM

and you are accessing the following URL:

http://not-www.example.com/

the Kerberos module will attempt to get a service ticket for the
service principal HTTP/not-www.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM

What we ended up doing was using mod_rewrite so that all of our
urls mapped into the http://www.example.com/... namespace, and
then we only had to set up a service principal for
HTTP/www.example.com, rathern than one for every virtual host.

  -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte, DreamWorks Animation
<mailto:tlaporte at anim.dreamworks.com>