USERID case sensitiveness on ADS server? Any solution at Kerberos client side?

Surendra Babu surendra06 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 12:08:37 EST 2006

Hi Kerberos Team,,

I am seeing the problem with Case sensitiveness of Username.

1. I am wroking on the Kerberos with Windows ADS server. While trying to do
User AUthentication, I am seeing the following issue. I am using C code not
Java Libraries

2. Our Previous sysadmin guys have set the User names in UPPER case in ADS
and after that our new sys admin guys have configured the User names in
Lower case.

3. While working with the Kerberos, we found the problem that, case
sensitiveness is the BIG ISSUE. Because, for some user users, it is upper
case and for some users it is lower case.

4. Kerberos always look for the case sensitive of USERID. That means, if
User enter the same case USERID and passwd, then only Authentication
successful.

5. Because of the different sys admins, the USER IDs are not in UNIQUE
format. Some of them are UPPPER case and some are LOWER case.

6. How to resolve this problem? Any idea? Please let me know your thoughts.

Solution#1: We can change the Server settings: make all of the USERIDs are
small case. So all of them will be in UNIQUE format. BUt the probelm is: we
have amy users in terms of 1000s. So this is not a feasible sloution.

COuld you please provide me some solution in such a way that, Kerbeors
client should ignore the case sensitiveness of USERID.

Please let me know your thoughts ASAP. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
-Surendra