Is there a list of characters allowed to define a principal name and realm?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 27 21:55:24 EDT 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 19:29, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:38:47 -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
>> For portability, I think the right answer is "if you use anything
>> outside
>> of US-ASCII minus control characters, you're likely to hurt
>> yourself or
>> your users", and RFC 4120's specifications and recommendations are
>> based
>> on that.  We intend to move to UTF-8 in the future, but the wire
>> encoding
>> will be different from the current one.
>
> As far as I know Windows 2K3 already accepts utf8 characters in their
> strings. None of the MIT krb5 libraries does any multibyte handling
> which
> means that utf8 passes through them relatively cleanly (I've used this
> in the Samba code to allow utf8 logon names to be used within Samba
> +krb5).

Right.  And if you try to use the MIT programs in an ISO-8859-1
environment with the same characters, things will fail, because the
encoding will be different.

(Windows is violating the spec in doing this, of course.)

Ken