kadmin.local works but kadmin doesn't. kpasswd 'insufficient access to lock data base'

bohongdxl@gmail.com bohongdxl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 15:27:51 EDT 2006

Thanks,

    The configuration files are as follows:  (I have replaced my real
realm with 'MY.REALM.COM', and my real domain with 'realm.com').
thanks.

krb5.conf
---------------------------------------
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 default_realm = MY.REALM.COM
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false
 ticket_lifetime = 24h
 forwardable = yes

[realms]
 MY.REALM.COM = {
  kdc = MY.REALM.COM:88
  admin_server = MY.REALM.COM:749
  default_domain = realm.com
 }

[domain_realm]
 .realm.com = MY.REALM.COM

[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[appdefaults]
 pam = {
   debug = false
   ticket_lifetime = 36000
   renew_lifetime = 36000
   forwardable = true
   krb4_convert = false
 }
---------------------------------------

kdc.conf
---------------------------------------
[kdcdefaults]
 acl_file = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl
 dict_file = /usr/share/dict/words
 admin_keytab = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab
 v4_mode = nopreauth

[realms]
 MY.REALM.COM = {
  #master_key_type = des3-hmac-sha1
  supported_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1:normal arcfour-hmac:normal
des-hmac-sha1:normal des-cbc-md5:normal des-cbc-crc:normal
des-cbc-crc:v4 des-cbc-crc:afs3
 }

kadmin5.acl has just one line
*/admin at MY.REALM.COM  *