Is it possible to generate the keytab on the application server itself ?

sandypossible@gmail.com sandypossible at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:55:23 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have some additional queries:

1) I understand that while creating the keytab file, the KDC creates
the key using the service principal and its password. This key is
extracted in the keytab file. Could you please let me know if this
extracted keytab contains only the password in encrypted form ? Does
the KDC uses any salt, realm name along with password during key
creation ?

2) Does KDC maintains a database of all the keytab entries when the
keytab file is created ?  Or does it create the key when ever required
?

3) What is the requirement of keyversion number ? When the password is
changed and the new key is created why the kerberos cant use the new
key itself ? Is my understanding correct ? Could anybody please explain
?

4) Is it possible to create the keytab entry on the application server
itself ?

Thanks
Sandy.