SSH issue

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Jan 17 14:12:32 EST 2006

Marcel Koopmans wrote:

> Hello Klaas,
>
> hephaestus runs MacOSX 10.4.4 so the /etc/krb5.conf file is named
> /Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos but it looks ok
>
> [libdefaults]
>  default_realm = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>
> [realms]
>  HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL = {
>    kdc = zeus.home.elysium-os.nl:88
>    admin_server = zeus.home.elysium-os.nl:749
>    default_domain = home.elysium-os.nl
>  }
>
> [domain_realm]
>  home.elysium-os.nl = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>  .home.elysium-os.nl = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>

> On zeus /etc/krb5.conf also looks ok
>

> [libdefaults]
>  default_realm = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>
> [realms]
>  HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL = {
>    kdc = kerberos.home.elysium-os.nl:88
>    admin_server = kerberos.home.elysium-os.nl:749
>    default_domain = home.elysium-os.nl
>  }
>
> [domain_realm]
>  home.elysium-os.nl = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>  .home.elysium-os.nl = HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL
>
> [logging]
>  kdc = FILE:/var/log/kerberos.log
>  admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kerberos.log
>  default = FILE:/var/log/kerberos.log
>

> In the logfile og the KDC it shows
>

> Jan 17 19:16:48 zeus krb5kdc[2170](info): TGS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16 23
> 1 3 2}) 172.20.1.5: UNKNOWN_SERVER: authtime 1137492150,
> marcel at HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL for krbtgt/ELYSIUM-OS.NL at HOME.ELYSIUM-OS.NL,
> Server not found in Kerberos database

The client is trying to do cross-realm, and the first step is to try
and get a TGT up one level in the path. The client is not determining the
realm of the server to be in the same realm as the client.

Look at DNS, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/host files. Fully qualify the hostname
on the ssh command line.

> I do not get a ticket for zeus.
> If server zeus is unknown that why does it work just fine from hades??
> If there is something wrong on hephaestus whay does ssh to hades work??
>
> with kind regards,
>    Marcel
>

> Klaas Hagemann wrote:
>
>> Hi marcel,
>>
>> check the domain-realm mapping in /etc/krb5.conf, maybe something
>> there is wrong.
>> then you can monitor krb5kdc.log while trying to access zeus and see
>> whats going on.
>>
>> does principal marcel gets a service ticket for zeus?
>>
>> - Klaas
>>
>> Marcel Koopmans schrieb:
>>

>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I have a issue with ssh to another computer
>>> I use 3 computers,
>>>
>>> 1 zeus, the KDC that has sshd running
>>> 2 hades,  server that has sshd running