Common keytab file for all the application servers - Is it possible ???

sandypossible@gmail.com sandypossible at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 04:58:59 EST 2006

Hi,

I am working on implementing kerberos on an embedded device which is
linux based. I need to use windows domain controller as KDC. I am
trying to find different ways of making the configuration process more
easier, such as generating keytab file .

I have tried using kerberos between windows and linux, I was able to do
kerberos connection. I think the existing way of generating a keytab
file for each server using "ktpass" is very much time consuming and
also not user friendly. If I assume that there are 100 devices, then
keytab file has to be generated seperately for all these one at a time
using ktpass tool. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I have a question. If I assume that there are some 100 devices which
are acting as application servers and they want to use windows domain
controller as KDC, then can I use same keytab file on all the devices ?
I will have common entry for all the devices in the domain controller
and generate a keytab file using ktpass. I will use the same keytab
file. Will this work ?  Will there be any issues in connection
establishment? Is this correct way ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

- Sandy.