Automating keytab creation when using windows 2003 KDC and linux clients

sandypossible@gmail.com sandypossible at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 01:20:31 EST 2006

Hi all,

I am using windows 2003 Domain controller as KDC and I am using linux
machines. The steps what I have followed to make these linux machines
to use windows 2003 server are as follows:
1. Configured windows 2003 as domain controller, added the linux
machines as users.
2. Generated keytab files using ktpass tool.
3. Tested the gss server and gss client communication. It works fine.

I notice that I had to add the linux mahines as users, generate
seperate keytab files for each account and copy those on to the linux
machines. The problem is it requires as lot of manual stuffs to do. I
am looking in to how to automate this procedure. Could you please
suggest how to go about it ? Could you please let me know if this is
the standard method of doing it as of now ? Are there any other methods
? I am really aiming at automating this procedure as it will be
difficult to configure non windows systems which act as application
servers and if they are large in number.

Could you please let me know your suggestions ?

- Sandy.