Cross Realm AD<->MIT Trust, with realm name clash?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Feb 6 12:22:11 EST 2006

As Ken points out it is the salt that will cause the problem.
The default salt for DES is to use the realm and principal
components concatenated with the password to generate a key.
So if you change the realm, you either have to change the key,
or store the salt that was used when the password was changed.

We had a situation similar to this when we wanted to convert
from DCE to using an MIT KDC with a different realm. We wanted
to copy the user keys so the user's would not need to change the
passwords. We got this working, but never really used it.

You are welcome to the code as an example.

You could run through the data base, adding the current salt as
KRB5_KDB_SALTTYPE_SPECIAL with the current realm name. Then when
you change the realm name, all the existing entries would continue
to use the old realm name for the salt.

Note you must be using +requires_preauth.