kpasswd: Failed decrypting request

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 17 20:54:01 EDT 2006

Using krb5-1.4.3 on a Redhat system and I get the following error from
kpasswd:

   Failed decrypting request

The admin server is accessed via VPN/NAT and from the sparse info I could
find, I suspect that's the issue.  DNS does show that my VPN IP matches
the hostname.

Questions...

Is that the cause of the error?

Are there plans to fix this?

If there are no plans to fix it (or it can't be fixed)... is there any
possibility the error message could be a bit more descriptive?

I'm trying to deploy kerberos to a large number of users, many will be
accessing our systems via the VPN and I'm sure this will be an issue.