Problems with kpropd

Mike Dopheide dopheide at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 11 16:09:00 EDT 2006

Hhmm.. okay.  First of all, you don't want to have the same keys in
krb5.keytab on both systems.  A system should really only have keys for
itself and any services it provides (like host/hostname, ftp/hostname,
etc).

So that's probably why you're seeing the key version number problem.
Every time you run ktadd it's going to randomize the key before writing it
out to the file.

But first you need to fix the identity crisis your server is having.  I'm
guessing it doesn't have it's hostname set so it's defaulting to
localhost.  What does 'hostname' return?  Your systems should think of
themselves with a real hostnames and have those entries in /etc/hosts with
the fqdn listed first.  ie, for your slave:

155.198.204.170  rapanui.ph.ic.ac.uk  rapanui

The master should have it's host/master.ph.ic.ac.uk in it's
/etc/krb5.keytab and the slave should have host/rapanui.ph.ic.ac.uk.  The
slave should also have a kpropd.acl with just the text
"host/master.ph.ic.ac.uk", not the actual key.

Hopefully that will get you further.

-Mike