Password Expiration notifications

Matthew J. Smith matt.smith at uconn.edu
Mon Apr 3 15:58:01 EDT 2006

Hello all,

  I am using MIT Krb5 1.4.3, and am looking to send an email
notification to my users 14 days before their passwords expire.  I have
cobbled together a Proof-of-Concept using kadmin -q "getprinc -terse" to
scrape the password expiration date from each principal.  The PoC works,
but seems "inefficient", requiring a getprinc to the KDC for each princ
returned by listprincs.  Is there a better way?  Is there a way to query
the KDC for a list of users whose password is about to expire?  Or at
least, is there a kadm5_get_principals call that will return an array of
principal structures (instead of just a string[] of names), which I can
just iterate over locally, looking at expiration timestamps?

Thank you for any insight you can offer,
-Matt

---
matt.smith at uconn.edu
University of Connecticut ITS