new krb5 realm - first time slave kdc need help

jonathanschreiter@yahoo.com jonathanschreiter at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 23:27:05 EDT 2005

hi all,
fairly new to kerberos here.  i've got the book o'reilly kerberos the
definitive gude and followed the procedure in chapter 4 and have a
successful master kdc and it's working.  i'm trying to create my first
slave kdc, and the book gets a little less detailed (pg63).  "log into
each kdc, connect to kadmin, create a host principal for the machine,
and extract the new key into the hosts' keytab."

well, i run (fedora core 4) the /usr/kerberos/sbin/kadmin on the slave
and i get:

kadmin: Missing parameters in krb5.conf required for kadmin client
while initializing kadmin interface.

it's the same /etc/krb5.conf file that's on my master kdc, and that
seems to work.  the only thing i've done on the slave kdc (besides
install the rpms) is copy the /etc/krb5.conf and modify the
/var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kpropd.acl.  i did not go through the procedure
to create the realm, etc (i don't think that's necessary).

if i look in /var/log/kadmin.log i get two entries for seeding random
number generator and two errors "no such file or directory while
initializing, aborting"

i've opened ports udp/tcp 88, 749, and 464 on the master kdc.  i have
dns mapping the kdc information (as on page 79).

any help to start getting in the correct direction would be greatly
appreciated - thanks!