Kerberos V5 Authentication for a Telnet Session

sarshah20@yahoo.com sarshah20 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 06:21:43 EDT 2005

Here is what i want to do. I want to establish a telnet connection from
a client to a server. The authentication mechanism that i want to use
for telnet connection is kerberos v5.

What I Have Done So Far:
I have setup two virtual machines (both windows 2003 server enterprise
edition) on VMWare. I have made one of them a server (a domain
controller) and other a client. On the server, i
have installed Active Directory. On the server i registered a new user
in active directory. Using this user i can log in to the domain from
clients machine. Now, from the clients machine, when i try to connect
to the server using the windows builtin telnet client, the login
attempt fails. The message that is displayed on the console is "Failure
in initializing the telnet session. Shell process may not have been
launched.". In the server event viewer, there is an error saying "Error
in creating CMD proces. System Error: Access is denied.". After
searching the internet, i found out a couple of proposed solutions for
the first error. One of them was for win xp 64 bit edition. Tried it
but no avail. The 2nd
one said to make sure that Secondary Logon service is running. Tried
that too but no affect at all. If i unset NTLM auth from the client
side then it simply asks me to enter user name and password. Obviously
this is not what i want. I want the user to be authenticated by means
of kerberos v5 protocol. So now i am wondering how can i make kerberos
v5 authentication to work with telnet. Any help would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks,

sarshah