SSH and Kerberos in Solaris 9

henrik henrik at stat.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:06:09 EDT 2005

    Hello
I have kerberos working on a Solaris 9 box in the sense that if I type:

   kinit henrik

the system authenticates the password without error. I need to get ssh
to accept the kerberos authentication. In Linux it was easy to do, but
I am having trouble configuring the Solaris /etc/pam.conf file to make
this work. Uncommenting this section:

#
# Support for Kerberos V5 authentication (uncomment to use Kerberos)
#
rlogin		auth optional		pam_krb5.so.1 try_first_pass
login		auth optional		pam_krb5.so.1 try_first_pass
other		auth optional		pam_krb5.so.1 try_first_pass
cron		account optional 	pam_krb5.so.1
other		account optional 	pam_krb5.so.1
other		session optional 	pam_krb5.so.1
other		password optional 	pam_krb5.so.1 try_first_pass

does not make ssh accept kerberos passwords for ssh logins. As a test I
enabled telnet and with telnet things fail as well:

login: henrik
Password:
Enter Kerberos password for henrik:
authentication failed:  Unknown code 2

On the login prompt the kerberos password is accepted, but then it
requests it again and the same password fails. I really am not
interested in getting telnet to work, it was just for diagnosis I tried
it.

Any help would be appreciated.

    - Henrik