kadmin: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while initializing kadmin interface

yi zeng bigwhite at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 01:17:59 EDT 2005

Hi, there,
 I set up a MIT Kerberos 5 master kdc on a pc in a private domain. I have
/etc/hosts mapping hostname of the pc to its ip address and /etc/krb5.conf
pointing kdc to the host name, which i believe correctly set.
 The problem is that, I can do kadmin.local but I just couldn't do kadmin.
It always complains:
kadmin: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while initializing kadmin
interface
 kinit with no parameters reports the similar error:
kinit(v5): Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while getting initial
credentials
 but kinit works if I supply a principal from another realm (that realm and
its kdc is also set in /krb5.conf).
 I am confused that why kinit and kadmin just couldn't work in local realm?
Is this a feature or I missed any setting issues?
 Thank you very much.
 yizeng