Java GSS/Kerberos issue - Autheticating server

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Nov 30 15:59:49 EST 2005

Laurence Brockman wrote:

> I can authenticate as that particular principal in the client portion of the
> code that I have written using exactly the same case, etc.
>
> I have a server and a client portion of code that pass GSS-wrapped kerberos
> tokens through a SOAP connection

So you are using GSSAPI, and passing the GSSAPI tokens via soap betwen the
clint and server. And the server accepts the authentication.

> and the server is unable to authenticate to
> the KDC using any credentials (Same error) and the client can authenticate

Normally the server does not talk to the KDC at all. SO what is it really
trying to do?

But the GSSAPI Delegation feature can be used be the client to delegate
a credential to the server so the server can act as the client. (The client
gets a new Kerbveros TGT and sends to to the server.) Usefull with ssh
for example where the user is logging in as the user.

> using any credentials.
>
> Both use the same code:
>
> LoginContext("confName", new PasswordCallbackClass(....,....));

So where is geting the password?  Does the server think the principal
is that of the user, as the gssapi delegated a TGT to the server?

> lc.login();
>
> Thc lc.login() on the server portion is failing. The server is runnning on
> my Windows XP devel box and is running as a Tomcat servlet. Any known issues
> with this type of setup?

You can run Ethereal on the box, and watch the network traffic. Ethereal
can format krb5 packets. Very helpfull is cases like this.

Don't know.