Possible to use only IP addresses in MIT Kerberos (ie: disable DNS name resolution)?

Brian Davidson bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Thu Nov 24 12:16:00 EST 2005

My understanding is that the process for determining what service
principal to obtain for a server involves doing gethostbyaddr(
gethostbyname() ).  That is, find the IP for the given host, and then
find the name associated with that IP.  Then ask the KDC for a ticket
for host/name.

So, you don't have to use DNS, but you must have resolvable names.

Brian