Secure Transfer of Keytab file from Windows DC to embedded device

sandypossible@gmail.com sandypossible at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:40:35 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am working on implementing Kerberos on an embedded device. I am using
 windows DC as KDC for the embedded device. Since the keytab for my
device has to be created on the windows DC. I am mainly looking in to
how to get it on the device securely.
* Do I need to copy the keytab file from windows DC to my device ? I
mean, is there any automated way of doing this on the  device itself
similar to kadmin, ktadd  ? I didnt find any info regarding this.

* Is there already a defined protocol for copying keytab from windows
DC  ? Documents say "copy the keytab from windows DC to the application
server"

* If I MUST copy the keytab file from windows DC to the device, will
just copying using ftp or any other method which is not secure will do
?

* If I have to copy it securely,  how can I copy it securely ? Do I
need to use secure ftp or any such method ?

Could any body please let me know which will be the best way of doing
this ?

Regards
Sandy