Kerberos referrals

Saber Zrelli zrelli at jaist.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 00:19:43 EST 2005

Hello ,

* On 13:24, Wed 09 Nov 05, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> Josh Howlett wrote:
>
> >Kerberos referrals have been implemented in Heimdal and MIT (with a
> >patch from UMich) and, of course, Windows.
> >

> >My understanding is that Kerberos referrals are used to permit
> >cross-realm authentication against remote realms that are not explicitly
> >configured in the client's configuration.
> >

> First of all see:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-06.txt

I read this draft and I am trying to understand how referrals work.

In section 8. "Cross realm routingi", It is said that for server
referrals, the KDC takes in charge the optimization of the referral
path because it has more information about cross-realm routing.

Does this mean that the KDC will provide the client with a TGT and
the target realm (where the service is located) in the
PA-SERVER-REFERRAL of the reply ?

Regards,
Saber.