gmtime_r

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Fri May 13 04:25:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 03:50:49AM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> >But I also get a lot of this type stuff:
> >
> >  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: present but cannot be compiled
> >  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: check for missing prerequisite
> >headers?
> >  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
> >result
> >  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: present but cannot be compiled
> >  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
> >  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
> >result
>
> Those come up sometimes ... I think it's usually when we test for one
> header file being present, but it requires that another one be included
> first, which the usual autoconf tests don't do.  I haven't been
> worrying about it myself...

Well, sort of. What's actually happening is that the cc -E runs fine because
it has the -D_REENTERANT flag, but then the cc doesn't compile because it
doesn't have that flag.

I run into the opposite problem a lot when I set CFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS on
something and it autoconf will spit out "xxxx works but is not present" which
always cracks me up. ;)

OK, one more compile with CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS... ok.

Which leaves me with a few final questions:
1. Why doesn't this happen with 1.3.x?
2. Am I really the first person to run into this?

Thanks for your help.

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator