gmtime_r

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Thu May 12 18:35:12 EDT 2005

Hey folks,

I'm compiling 5-1.4.1 on Solaris 9 and I get:

  WARNING: Some functions that are needed for library thread
  WARNING: safety appear to be missing.
  WARNING:   missing thread-safe function: gmtime_r
  WARNING: Without these functions, the installed libraries
  WARNING: may not be thread-safe.

This is _really_ strange since:

1. gmtime_r() is part of time.h
2. This didn't happen on 1.3.3, I just went back and checked.

The config.log doesn't give any sort of useful information on how it arrived
at this decision, it just says:

  configure:8373: checking for gmtime_r
  configure:8435: result: no
  configure:8456: WARNING: Some functions that are needed for library thread
  configure:8458: WARNING: safety appear to be missing.
  configure:8461: WARNING:   missing thread-safe function: gmtime_r
  configure:8464: WARNING: Without these functions, the installed libraries
  configure:8466: WARNING: may not be thread-safe.

I did notice, however, that configure in 1.3.3 doesn't appear to look for
gmtime_r....

I'm not keen on my KDC crashing due to lack of thread saftey.

Thoughts?

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator