building kerberos on 64 bit processor

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon May 9 17:22:05 EDT 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 16:55, Heilke, Rainer wrote:
> Since you're on Linux, I would add that gcc will need to be built as
> 64bit. Otherwise, it may still build Kerberos as 32bit, because it's
> all
> (your version of) gcc knows.

If it is a system that has a 32-bit mode and the compiler defaults to
32-bit mode (the original poster didn't say *what* kind of 64-bit
system it is), then at least for some architectures it should be
sufficient to give gcc the right option(s) to generate 64-bit code.
There does seem to be a bug in our current release where the CFLAGS
value specified at configure time isn't always passed to all
invocations of the compiler, so I'd recommend passing the option via
CC, kind of like this command that should build a 64-bit build on
Solaris:

   $ ./configure --prefix=... CC='gcc -m64'

Ken