Need LDAP help from you

umer khan umer830 at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 10:03:42 EDT 2005

I am new to this group and need urgent help.While performing search
operation on microsoft Active Directory using ldap_search_ext_s API.I am
giving valuest for "timeout" structure as follows.

TimeOutStruct.tv_sec := 10;//local search time out
TimeOutStruct.tv_usec := 0;//operation limit

While performin search with LDAP filter as
(&(telephoneNumber=56*)(objectclass=contact))

some time resulting records are returned and some times i Get timeout as
return value.I have following questions

Q-1 now extending timeout value from 10 seconds to 50 or 60 will garantee
the solution or not.

Q-2 if i use unlimited timeout by passing NULL as timeout structure in
ldap_search_ext_s and set timeout using ldap_set_option for setting
LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT as "0".what potential problems i can face like delays or
stucks in application.

Q-3 what are common reasons for a timeout.and its permanent solution.

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.