joining netbsd 1.6.1 (heimdal-0.4e-nb2) to MIT kdc on linux (krb5-1.3.5) error

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 11 02:53:47 EST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 9:01 AM, kerberos-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Date: 4 Mar 2005 04:17:04 -0800
> From: "KV2" <vvk at smartlogic.ru>
> To: kerberos at MIT.EDU
> Subject: joining netbsd 1.6.1 (heimdal-0.4e-nb2) to MIT kdc on linux
>  (krb5-1.3.5) error
> Message: 7
>
> Hello, I get following errors when trying set up kerberos on netbsd
> 1.6.1 system:
>  netb#  kadmin
>  kadmin> list princs
>  root/admin at SWAMP.RU's Password:
>  ---if wrong password given, it prints "get princs: Incorrect
> password"and give up,
>      if the password matches than kadmin sleep forever on  READ call,
> (from ktrace/kdump output)...

The authentication and password change protocols are standard.  The
admin protocol isn't.  You can't use a Heimdal kadmin with an MIT
kadmind.

>  Configuration of realm is simple: main kdc on linux with MIT
> krb5-1.3.5, there are some other linux system on net, successfuly
> using kerberos in auth to telnet, ftp services, /etc/krb5.conf on
> systems are exactly identical.
>
>  Is it version incompability or config error?  What should I do - I
> think install mit krb on this system surely help, but is there other
> ways, some people told me that heimdal totally compatible with MIT, is
> it right?

"on the wire" the basic authentication protocol is very compatible.
Not sure how far back the password change compatibility works.
Generally you should have no problems with a NetBSD/Heimdal client and
an MIT server (as I think you are trying).

Note that the Heimdal in NetBSD 1.6.1 is fairly old.  Version
0.5-something at best, while they are working on 0.7 now.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu