Kerberos without DNS

g.w@hurderos.org g.w at hurderos.org
Wed Mar 9 10:39:02 EST 2005

On Mar 8,  8:23pm, sureshjayaram at gmail.com wrote:
} Subject: Kerberos without DNS

Good morning everyone, hope the day is starting out well.

> Is it possible to use kerberos in a network where there is no DNS
> server ? Assume the hosts file of KDC server, kerberized server and
> kerberized client are properly updated ..  If yes, how..  May be
> naive question..

I run Kerberos standalone on my laptop all the time when I'm working
remote on Hurderos development, no DNS, just name resolution through
the /etc/hosts files.

Its helpful to have a pretty good grounding in Kerberos administration
to get this to work right.  One has to be thinking about how Kerberos
'thinks' about things.

One of the most important rules is to remember to have the entries in
/etc/hosts setup so that whatever the hostname on the box is set to
(hostname command) is able to resolve.

You may want to start out with everything on a single box and sort the
details there.  Once that is running you can branch out and sort
details from there.

> Thanks,
> Suresh

Good luck with your project.