Telnet User Access Control ..

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Wed Mar 9 08:17:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 02:43 -0800, daylebo wrote:
> i am using the kerberzied telnet server and client ...
> is there any was i can control user access ....
> something like ..
> allow user1 deny user2...
>
> in a kerberized ftp u can control user access using the /etc/ftpusers ..
> what about telnet ???

It's called /etc/passwd. ;-)
Set the user's login shell to /sbin/nologin, and he won't be able to log
into a shell account.

> i know telnet ain't secure but it fine for me ...

Actually, krb5 telnet is quite secure. If you enable the encryption
option (either by default or by specifying the -x switch to the Kerberos
telnet client), it's in the same class of security as SSH.

HTH,
Fredrik Tolf