krb5 1.4 on AIX 5.1 Illegal Instruction

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Mar 5 23:37:41 EST 2005

Quoth Jorma <guest at guest.fi>:
| How did you build your MIT krb5. I failed to build on my AIX 5.2 ML 4
| and IBM C 6.0 setup. Here is my 1.4 configure line.
| # ./configure --prefix=/opt/freeware --without-tcl --without-krb4
| What are your vac and xlC file set levels?

(I'm not Dan, but) I had to fix a number of files in util/et and
util/ss, to compile on AIX.  As I recall, in every case I removed
a preprocessor conditional testing "__STDC__".  The authors of
these sources apparently felt that a compiler that fails to define
this symbol must want K&R language features, and that's wrong for
IBM's compiler and others.  (The MIT Kerberos folks know this, and
K&R compilers aren't going to make it through krb5-1.4 anyway, but
these files appear to come from elsewhere.)  If this appears to be
your problem, before fixing it as I did, you might look for an xlc
option that would define __STDC__, and see if that does the trick.

	Donn