Solaris 9 Pam problem

scanell scanell at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 30 17:57:42 EDT 2005

Sorry, missed your reference to /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab

I can't tell from you email if you are using SEAM or MIT Kerberos.... but this I know holds true for the MIT Kerberos 1.4...

Get a copy of the keytab file from the master and place it accordingly...
MIT Kerberos 1.4 is /usr/local/var/krb5kdc/<name>.keytab

For SEAM, I believe it goes into the /etc/krb5 directory... do not recall for sure.

Since authentication is local with su, you need the key to decrypt the password which is in the keytab file.

Check you master server logs and see if it is giving you a failure to decrypt... that would be a good indication that the local host cannot checksum the tickets because the key is on the master where the password ticket was create... now you need that key to decrypt on the client side.

Someone will probably say I am all wet, but this is what I had to do for ssh between Solaris 9 boxes using pam_krb5.so.1....
Once I place a copy of the master keytab file on the SUN server, I was then able to authenticate using Kerberos.

Steve