Solaris 9 Authentication

Michael Marziani mdmarziani at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 18:28:36 EDT 2005

"Decrypt integrity check" errors usually point to a keytab problem.  Although
I'm somewhat unsure why you had to copy your kadm5.keytab from the master
server, you should have instead created keytabs for each host.  In my setup (we
use Solaris 9 SEAM KDCs with Solaris 9 and Red Hat clients) for each ssh server
I want authenticating to the KDCs I simply log into kadmin from that host with
an admin principal, add a host principle for that server to the database, then
export a keytab containing the host pricipal.

On new host:
> kadmin -p <name>/admin
kadmin: addprinc -randkey host/<FQDN>
kadmin: ktadd host/<FQDN>

That should add the host service key to the default keytab on the system which
should be visible to pam_krb5.

Then adjust pam.conf to use pam_krb5 in the right places.

I'd feel strange moving my master kadm5.keytab to other servers, as I don't
think that's intended or necessary.  The Kerberos FAQ subject 2.3 seems to back
this up:

http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/kenh/kerberos-faq.html#filesappserv

Best regards,

-Michael