Programming in Kerberos

brian.joh@comcast.net brian.joh at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 11:59:15 EDT 2005

I recently learned how to program MIT Kerberos with no
previous knowledge of anything Kerberos related.

If you haven't already, you should first understand
how to use Kerberos and also understand the protocol
at a high level.  Google for the "The Moron's Guide to
Kerberos" and play with kinit, kdestroy, kutil, etc..

The MIT distribution includes an API description (in
TEX format if I remember correctly).  However, this
documentation is incomplete, out of date, and more of
a reference than a tutorial.  The best documentation
is the actual source code.  I read the source to kinit
and some of the library to learn how to write Kerberos
programs.

The nice thing about open source software is that if
you really want to know how something works, you can
look at the source.  On the flip side, documentation
is often less of a priority, so sometimes you HAVE to
look at the source code.