kerberos authentication for apache on windows

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 09:31:45 EDT 2005

Julien ALLANOS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to kerberos, and I want to know if the following configuration is
> possible:
>
> I have an Apache2 web server running on Windows 2003 Server, and I want to
> authenticate users with kerberos before they can access to the web server
> content. The kdc service seems to be up and running on the Windows 2003 server.
>
> 1/ how can I check that a client (Windows XP) that has just logged into the
> domain, has been given a TGT?

If you want a visual indication, you can use:

 * the "klist" tool provided by Microsoft with Windows

 * the "kerbtray" tool provided by Microsoft in the Resource Kit

 * MIT Kerberos for Windows and its Leash Ticket Manager,

> Now I have to "kerberize" the Apache server. I found mod_auth_krb
> (http://modauthkerb.sourceforge.net/). To compile it for Windows, I need
> headers and libs for a Kerberos implementation.
>
> 2/ Can I use Windows implementation to compile it? Or do I have to install
> another Kerberos implementation (such as MIT for Windows 2.6.5) in order to
> build it?

If you want to build an Apache module that uses the MIT Kerberos APIs,
you can build the module against the SDK that is installed as a part of
MIT Kerberos for Windows.

Jeffrey Altman