Kerberos for Wireless Authentication

Saber Zrelli zrelli at jaist.ac.jp
Thu Jun 2 06:21:11 EDT 2005

Hi Chris, All

My name is Saber, and I'm working on a topic very close to what you
described in your e-mail to the kerberos wg.

If I well understood,

your system is for authenticating wireless clients in access
networks. These clients I suppose might be in their home network or
in a roaming situation.

Then you have a back-end AAA system(RADIUS/Diameter). And you are
planning to use the back-end AAA system for providing Kerberos
credentials to wireless clients.

The problem then is between the NAS and the wireless clients.

When using EAP , the client and the NAS can use PANA or 802.1X to
perform the authentication at L3. But if you use just kerberos,
there is no existent mechanism that transports kerberos messages
between a NAS and a wireless client.

There is however a draft called "IAKERB"  that provides pass-through
authentication using kerberos
(http://watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-08.txt), that
can do the trick.

I would like to profit from this occasion to expose what I'm
concerned about which is the back-end AAA operations. Imagine that
you are in a roaming situation and that you need to have cross-realm
TGT ticket or just a service ticket.

The actual Kerberos mechanism for cross-realm opertaions is not
compatible with AAA schemas, this is because Kerberos was not
designed to be a part of an AAA framework such as RADIUS or
Diameter.

In order to make Kerberos easily integrated with RADIUS for
instance, there should be an inter-KDC protocol.

In my current work I'm designing an inter-KDC protocl that will be
integrated as a Diameter extension ( just like Diameter-EAP
extension ). My proposed version of kerberos cross realm operations
will make kerbeors -among other advantages- suitable for wireless
and roaming situations.

If you are interested on this topic, you can find more details about
it here :
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~zrelli/zrelli/thesis/draft-zrelli-kerberos-cross-prop.html

I will be glad to receive your comments on it.

PS : This document is in early draft stage, several parts are not
finished yet, but the reader should be able  understand the general
Idea behind it.

Regards.

---Saber