HTTP mutual auth [Was: Need some tips on kerberizing our ENTIRE network]

Fred Dushin fadushin at fourfold.org
Thu Jul 28 07:47:03 EDT 2005

Could you elaborate on how this would break the HTTP spec?  I was
under the (admittedly naive) impression that more or less any
challenge-response authentication mechanism could be implemented in
HTTP via the HTTP 401 error code.  So presumably I would think that
GSS context tokens could be exchanged through this mechanism.  (E.g.,
client sends a request with an initial context token, server returns
an HTTP 401 with a continuation token, client resends request with
context completion token, and perhaps subsequent requests contain
some context identifier)

This approach may not be standard, but a standard authentication
mechanism could theoretically be proposed.  I don't see how it breaks
HTTP, but I'm not an HTTP expert.

Thanks,
Fred