potential for harm in DES AD/MIT trust

Colin Hudler chudler at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 22 15:17:53 EDT 2005

Brian Davidson wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2005, at 11:27 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
>> The MIT Kerberos team worked with the Microsoft Windows Security team
>> to make sure that RC4-HMAC could be used for cross-realm authentication
>> by Windows Server specificly because of the concerns you raise.   DES
>> keys are very weak and if they must be used because that is all that is
>> supported, then they keys must be replaced on a very regular basis
>> until such time as they no longer need to be used.
>>
>> With 2003 Server SP1 there should no longer be a reason to use DES keys
>> for anything but compatibility with Java 1.5 and earlier.
>

> Has anyone had success with this?  I just tried to use RC4-HMAC for a
> cross-realm trust with Server 2003 SP1, and it didn't work.  I could
> only get the trust to work with a DES key.
>
> Do you know if Microsoft has any of this documented anywhere?  I
> didn't see any mention of this in the "Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 1 list of updates"
>
> I'm hoping there's just a registry setting that needs to be made to
> enable this...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Davidson
> George Mason University

Hi Brian,

After setting the trust, install Windows 2003 SP1 Support tools, then run

ktpass -MitRealmName <REALM> -TrustEncryp RC4

I do not know where or if this is documented (besides the /? of
ktpass).  By the way, RC4 is not the default despite what "ktpass /? "
might say.   Hope that helps.

--
Colin Hudler
University of Chicago