rpms requiring libcom_err.so.3

linolil@equoria.net linolil at equoria.net
Mon Jan 24 17:47:08 EST 2005

On zo, 2004-12-26 at 16:52 -0800, linolil wrote:
> Is there an easy way to upgrade krb5-libs in the Fedora world using
> RPM?  Many applications require libcom_err.so.3.  I prefer doing
> small incremental upgrades. It is not fun on a production server
> to be forced to upgrade a dozen packages simply because one decided
> that it wasn't going to be backwards compatible...
>
> # rpm -U krb5-libs-1.3.1-6.i386.rpm
> warning: krb5-libs-1.3.1-6.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> 4f2a6fd2
> error: Failed dependencies:
[snip]

> libcom_err.so.3 is needed by (installed) httpd-2.0.40-21.11
> libcom_err.so.3 is needed by (installed) cvs-1.11.2-17
>

> Why not using the security updates of your distro (RedHat) ?
>
> Matthijs Mohlmann

Unfortunately the RedHat RPMS also have massive cross dependancy
issues.  The only way I've been able to do this in the past is
to perform a CDROM based update.  It is sad that so many things
can't be upgraded, except from source builds, for these reasons.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I somehow managed to get
myself unsubscribed.