Kerberos authentication without reverse lookup

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 24 17:13:13 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 12:44, Donn Cave wrote:
>> I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't getaddrinfo get ai_canonname by
>> doing a reverse lookup? When I tried it out, at least that is what
>> happened.
>
> It depends on the platform.  The GNU getaddrinfo implementation
> does.  I'm assuming AI_CANONNAME in ai_flags.

Yeah, the GNU one is just broken that way.

> NetBSD 2.0, AIX 5.2 don't, they stop at what you'd get from
> gethostbyname() -- they look up CNAME aliases but don't
> look up the IP PTR.

Yes, I think they're closer (at least) to getting it right.

Maybe not quite there... the NetBSD one didn't look thread-safe at a
glance, though I may have missed something, and thread safety is part
of the spec of the function.  I don't have AIX 5.2 to test with, but
4.3.3 had some issues we had to work around, too.

> Also might be worth mentioning that the MIT implementation
> also uses this in several places, though in the critical
> sname_to_principal() function it uses getnameinfo for the
> lookup.
>
> Secure DNS would be nice for all this.

Yup, we've got problems to address in this area.  Can't do it for 1.4,
though.

Ken