Kerberos Database Size

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 20 15:30:22 EST 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 13:36, Steve Edgar wrote:
> Does anyone know how large a Kerberos database on a single KDC can get
> before performance becomes an issue?  For example, would a Kerberos
> database be able to handle 750,000 principals?  1,000,000 principals?
> Hardware is a major factor, but assuming the KDC is on a "relatively
> fast" hardware configuration, are there any other limiting factors?

I would think in most cases the the transaction rate would be a lot
more interesting than the database size.  Two
extreme-to-the-point-of-absurdity cases: A database with 10**6
principals should be just fine if you have less than one request per
second, but a KDC may not be able to handle 10**6 transactions per
second no matter how small the database is.  Of course, for transaction
rates in between, the database size *and structure* will affect the
cost of looking up any one given database entry.  If that gets to be a
problem, one could tweak the software a bit (in the open source
implementations) to gain some speedups, like caching the data for the
TGT and a few popular services, and maybe the last N client principals;
cache key schedules for certain keys; stuff like that.

All that hand-waving aside, I'd be curious to see numbers (db size and
transaction rates) for various sites, especially any sites that have
found KDC performance to be a problem.  (And especially if it's with
the MIT KDC code.)