Reliable detection of kadmin flavor?

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Sun Jan 9 23:55:17 EST 2005

I am writing an ldap/kerberos administration program which will create and
set passwords on principals. I want the program to be usable with both MIT
and Heimdal kadmind implementations.

I am able to manually specify which set of libs to use, but I'd like for it
to be autodetected. Is there any way to determine what a random kadmin
server is running? All I have found so far is that I get a GSSAPI error
when trying to connect to a heimdal kadmin with MIT libs, and the
opposite makes my program hang.

If I could even open a simple socket connection and send some magic
command and parse the result, that would be great. I don't know where to
start looking though...

Thanks,

Mark Roach