/var fills up due to krb5kdc

Hugo Meiland hugo at meiland.nl
Wed Feb 9 04:45:25 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem running a kerberos master server; the
krb5kdc process starts eating up diskspace in /var. I takes currently a
few weeks to fill up the whole slice, and when it is filled up,
kerberos will no longer give tickets.

uname -a:
FreeBSD chuck.mydomain.fake 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #0: Mon Jun
  7 16:07:54 CEST 2004
root at chuck.mydomain.fake:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

installed version of krb5 from ports:
PORTNAME=               krb5
PORTVERSION=            1.3.6

as you can see some inconsisticy between df and du -> du claiming only
11mb of files while df says 108mb is in use

	chuck# df -h
	Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/aacd0s1e   252M   108M   124M    47%    /var

	chuck# du -h /var
	11M    /var

lukely fstat gives me some clues:

	chuck# fstat | grep var | grep krb
	root     krb5kdc    44687    3 /var      16292 -rw-------  102156802 rw
	root     krb5kdc    44687    6 /var        189 -rw-------    3804  w

When restarting the krb5kdc process, the diskspace is released...

Has anyone seen this before (and maybe even a solution for me??)

Thank you in advance,

Hugo Meiland
Leiden University
Chemistry Department