Kerberos in a heterogeneous environment

Paul Silverman paul_silverman at mail.com
Tue Feb 1 14:28:09 EST 2005

I am trying to fully understand the impacts and limitations of
implementing Kerberos in a large enterprise with different legacy
systems, Windows servers, Oracle databases and a wild array of Windows
apps authenticating on those Oracle DBs.

My question is twofold:

1. If there are let's say 12 different Windows apps accessing Oracle,
do all these apps need to be "Kerberized" or does the fact that Oracle
by itelf can be Kerberized is sufficient ?

2. Multiple roles: To which extend Kerberos supports this ?  Let's say
I have 2 different user IDs in Oracle because I have different roles
within the company, how does that translate into Kerberos ?

Thanks for any insight on these questions.

Regards,

Paul